Web Application Developer / Senior Web Application Developer
Epistemix draws on expertise in epidemiology, clinical practice, and computer science to understand and represent how epidemics spread in populations using the FRED agent-based modeling platform. We use FRED (Framework for Reconstructing Epidemiological Dynamics) to create and analyze epidemiological models and simulate how populations change over time. FRED was developed over 10 years with funding support from the NIH and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. FRED modeling has led to dozens of scientific publications, enabled California State Senator Richard Pan to introduce and pass legislation to tighten state vaccine exemption laws, has been used to model social determinants of health, and currently is been used by states and health systems to forecast the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
We are seeking team members to help design, implement test, deploy, and maintain a web-based UI to enable our customers to build models, run them, and visualize the results using our FRED platform. We are in search of team members who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity.
The timing makes this opportunity urgent. Local, state, and private organizations are looking to navigate the uncertainty of how to re-open by analyzing strategies across time, age, industry, and geography. This summer and fall are going to be the most important time to get re-opening right, and the questions are not going away anytime shortly thereafter. By providing a solution for these organizations to examine, test, and validate re-opening strategies that captures the dynamics of local populations, policies, and preferences, cities and communities across the country are able to re-open with greater confidence and minimize longer term impacts to the health of our country and economy. Our team is getting an increasing volume of contracts for COVID-19 modeling and need to scale beyond our founding team. Supporting local, state, and private organizations through COVID-19 serves as an entre for our platform to explore and support policy decisions across public health, economic, smart city, energy, or climate domains for these and other other stakeholders.
Email email@example.com with resume to apply.
Responsibilities are determined by active project needs.
- Analyze, plan, implement, deploy and distribute interactive, user-focused web-based software, over the full-stack from interactive front-end interfaces to back-end database and Java server / service implementation, in response to our diverse set of research projects and the company’s needs, goals, and mission.
- Engage with potential users of web-based interface to define and refine use-cases and user-stories, translating requirements into working code, and engage in dialogue with users to ensure our front-end implementation meets their needs.
- Build full-stack web-based solutions leveraging best practices and methodologies in software development including scrum, continuous integration, revision control, unit testing, and hands-on interactive user testing.
- Practice Agile development (Scrum) and continuous improvement
- Actively discuss, design, and implement new ideas in close collaboration with other members of the Epistemix team.
Skills & Experience
- Proficiency with RESTful API development, documentation, and use.
- Proficiency with back-end application and service development in Java
- Preferred proficiency with Linux: shells, editors, building applications, etc. a plus but not required.
- Preferred proficiency building Azure or AWS cloud services and applications
- Preferred proficiency working in a continuous integration / continuous development environment
- Preferred proficiency in data management and data analytics.
- Superb communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience developing software on a scrum team / with agile methodologies.
- Experience developing single page apps (SPA architecture patterns)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and creativity.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and a multi-disciplinary environment.
Web Platform Developer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field. Equivalent industry experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Web-based software platform development.
- Preferred 5 years of experience in Web-based software platform development, using appropriate technology stack and in support of scientific research and / or data analytics or other complex data-driven problem spaces.
Senior Web Platform Developer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field. Equivalent software development experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Web-based software platform development.
- Preferred 8 years of experience in Web-based software platform development, using appropriate technology stack and in support of scientific research and / or data analytics or other complex data-driven problem spaces.
- Preferred experience providing technical / architectural leadership and mentoring on team-based projects.